Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Register to Boat



2.5 Years: “Mama, where’s the water? Where’s the dock? Where are the ducks? Mama, are we here to boat?”

I should have known that there was a misunderstanding when my daughter was so highly enthusiastic about the 2010 elections. She kept telling me that she couldn’t wait to go with me to vote, and that it was going to be wonderful. I assumed that I simply had a toddler who was unusually interested in politics (hey, stranger things have happened!) so I encouraged her enthusiasm and, on the second day of November, I strapped her into the car seat and told her that we would be voting in just a couple of minutes.

She cheered the whole way to the community center and pranced out of the car enthusiastically holding my hand. Then, when we opened the door and she looked around at a room full of old people with papers and pens, her huge grin turned into a tragic pout. All these long weeks, she was very excitedly looking forward to boating. Unfortunately, it turned out to be voting, which wasn’t nearly as exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment