Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Minute Isn't Enough



2.5 Years: “Don’t be just a minute! Be just a mama who loves me!”

Second molars are a huge pain in the butt. They were especially obnoxious for our little family because my daughter’s molars decided to push their way through her gums right around the time that my long-ignored wisdom teeth decided that they absolutely weren’t going to tolerate being ignored anymore. We went through several nights of sitting up late in the rocking chair, feeling whiney and grumpy, while I secretly wondered if it would be okay to chew on a frozen teether to make the aching on my gums feel okay.

One of these nights, I was trying to catch up on work when I heard my daughter wake up and wail, “My gums hurt!”

“I’ll be just a minute, sweetie,” I sighed.

“Don’t be just a minute,” she cried, “Be just a mama who loves me!”

It made sense: in the middle of the night, when you’ve got a mouthful of pain, a mama who loves you is a much more effective analgesic than a minute. I don’t blame her for preferring the former over the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment