Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pitter-Patter



3 Years: “Mama, do you hear this? Do you hear? What do you hear, Mama? That’s right, Mama! You hear it! It’s the pitter-patter of little feet!”

I was working late one night when I heard the scuffling of bare feet in the hallway. To announce to the owner of the tiny feet that I knew she was there, I called out, "I think I hear the pitter-patter of little feet!"

Quickly, they made an audible dash back to the bedroom.


The next day, while I was working, I heard the sound again-- but his time, accompanied by narration. It was one of those rare but wonderful moments when parenting really does seem worthwhile, thanks to the help of a toddler who had figured out precisely how to issue that reminder. 


The pitter-patter of those little feet continued for over half an hour as she skittled up and down the hallway, making her tiny bare feet flip and flop with as much noise possible as she squealed, "It's the pitter patter of little feet!" I made a point of closing my eyes mid-work and remembering exactly where I was, what day it was, how the weather had been, how I was feeling, and what it sounded like. That was the day when I was actually rewarded for three years of motherhood with the pitter-patter of little feet. And my kid wanted to make sure I knew it.

No comments:

Post a Comment