Saturday, April 12, 2014

What Few Other Parents Hear

3.5 Years: “Hey, Mama, I think you’re doing a really great job taking care of me.”

I never would have expected to hear this. Parenting is a notoriously thankless job. We do it because it’s our duty, not because we will ever be recognized for our efforts (by our kids or anyone else). No matter how much effort we put into the day-to-day struggles of raising our kids, someone will say we’re doing it wrong. And that someone, especially if we have preschoolers or teens, will usually be our own children.

Imagine my surprise when I actually got praised for my parenting by a stubborn and sassy three-year-old. I didn’t expect it, but that one little moment was permanently logged in my memory as something to love and appreciate.


No comments:

Post a Comment